Tuesday 9 September 2014

Career Education for Room 6

When I was a 12 year old kid, I really didn't know what I wanted to be when I left High School.

However there were two things I was certain, I didn't want to be in the armed forces and I didn't want to be a teacher. So... here I am; a teacher.

Looking back at my schooling, especially my High School schooling, I am certain that if I had a proper career's education program I would have been an Actress or a Film Editor or Chef or Make-up Artist or someone high up in Advertising....Why? because I've just found out that I am artistic and because I'm artistic I am therefore a 'Creator.'

Apparently there a six groups that a person falls into,
  1. Artistic - "The Creator"
  2. Conventional - "The Organiser"
  3. Enterprising
  4. Investigative
  5. Realistic - "The Doers"
  6. Social - "The Healer"
So it looks like I have placed myself in the Social category, when I should have looked at my artistic talents. Yes I blame my careers advisors, as she didn't inform me about what type of jobs where out in the working work for artistic folks like me.

So I knew that I wouldn't let the students of room 6 down, so we are looking at creating personalised career pathways. This topic focuses on,
  1. Discovering Self - Knowing our strengths, weaknesses, talents and interests.
  2. Discovering the Workforce - Knowing that there are jobs out there based on our skills, interests and subject choices.
  3. Creating a Career Pathway - Knowing that my decisions, behaviour, attitude and choices will make a difference to my future.
My aim - To get my kids to be aware, that if you have a dream to become an engineer, astronaut, doctor, air hostess or an actress; you need to start planning now. Don't wait till you're a year 13 because it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment